Week 5: Hollywood & Racism
- Race: a tool of conquest
- a brief history of racism and slavery
- How is racism manifested in popular culture?
- Invisibility & marginalization
- Power dynamics
- How is race a biological myth? How is race a “social construct”?
- “Classified X“: Melvin Van Peebles two-part theory concerning the impact of Hollywood movies on racism in America
Q: Why does racism exist? What is its political/socioeconomic purpose?
Q: Name and discuss four to five manifestations of racism seen in popular culture.
Q: How do marginalized people learn ‘internalized racism’ from popular culture manifestations of racism?
Q: In what way is race a biological myth? Who benefits from the idea of race? Why?
Q: Which epic movie always gets blamed for being the first racist film?
Q: Discuss Van Peebles‘ descriptions of the various eras of blacks in films.
- 1) ‘Mass Media and Racism’ Stephen Balkaran http://www.yale.edu/ypq/articles/oct99/oct99b.html
- 2) ‘Racism on the Silver Screen’ http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/racism/hollywood/010906.hollywood.html
- 3) ‘Pop Culture and the Media’ Chap. 8 M. Wilson http://condor.depaul.edu/~mwilson/divided/mediach.html
- 4) ‘Whither Pop Culture?’ Belinda Acosta http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2000-11-24/screens_tveye.html
- 5) “Hollywood’s Arab: Still stuck in the Desert” Jack Shaheen http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article385.html
- 6) “A Century of Abuse: Ethnic Images on Screen” Allen Woll http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article384.html
- 7) FILM: “Classified X.” Melvin Van Peebles. http://weeklywire.com/ww/09-14-98/nash_film-video.html
- 8) FILM: Although “race” is a social reality, how is it a biological myth? See “Race: the Power of an Illusion” http://www.pbs.org/race/000_General/000_00-Home.htm
- 9) UNDERSTANDING RACE http://www.understandingrace.org/home.html
- 10) NEW: Also, please read “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack,” by Peggy McIntosh http://www.case.edu/president/aaction/UnpackingTheKnapsack.pdf
Also: REEVES’ FIFTH LECTURE: “Racism: Tool of Conquest, Biological Myth”