- What is an icon? What is a cultural icon? What is a pop culture icon?
- Definitions. What is an icon? What is a cultural icon? What is a pop culture icon?
- Semiotics: signifier and signified
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Marshall McLuhan (two theories) (1) The Medium is the Message and the User is the Content; and (2) Extensions Theory
Q: Be able to perform a rudimentary semiotic analysis on a magazine advertisement. Know the difference between a ‘signifier’ and the ‘signified.’
- ‘Semiotics for Beginners’ Daniel Chandler http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Documents/S4B/
- “Semioticon.com” http://www.semioticon.com/
- Maslow’s “Hierarchy of Needs” is also an essential tool for analysis of media, advertisements, and icons… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow’s_hierarchy_of_needs http://www.deepermind.com/20maslow.htm http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/maslow.html
Also: REEVES’ SECOND LECTURE: “Icons”
Q: What is a cultural icon?
- What is a Cultural Icon?’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_icon
- What is a Pop Icon? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_icon
Who was McLuhan? Marshall McLuhan Playboy Interview
Q: What did he mean by ‘The Medium is the Message‘ and the user is the content? Apply this in pop culture icon analysis.