Week 11: Advertising and Consumerism
- Who are you advertising today? (externalizing advertising costs through “walking billboards”)
- In the “big picture” of our society, what is the medium and what is the message?
- How does advertising promote distraction, bread, and circuses?
- How does advertising make us feel? Competent… attractive?
- What are the main messages carried in advertising?
- What evidence do you find that our society commodifies people?
- How are people in our culture taught to be adult North Americans? What consumer products are used to enculturate humans to be… Americans? … men & women? … consumers?
- What is shock advertising?
- How do you feel about censorship of commercials? Should all subject matter be permitted in ads?
- Explain how these experts/artists feel about this issue…. Ed McCabe & Bill Tragos, Oliviero Toscani, Joe Pytka, Wim Wenders, Horst Wackerbarth, Richard Kirshenbaum, David Bowie, Harvey Keitel, Rabbi Henry Sobel
- FILM: Hermann Vaske’s ‘The Fine Art of Separating People from their Money‘; shock advertising; censorship & Artists; effects of censorship; different views about censorship, brought up in the film; what should be censored, according to whom?
- “Cloning the Consumer Culture” Noreene Janus http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article219.html
- Clea Simon’s “Hooked” http://www.msmagazine.com/jan01/hooked_jan01.html
- How do our kids get so caught up in consumerism?
Brian Swimme http://www.newdream.org/newsletter/swimme.php
- “How ads get kids to say, I want it” Kim Campbell http://www.aef.com/industry/news/data/2000/1454
- “The Bribed Soul: Ads, TV and American Culture” Leslie Savan http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article575.html
- “Semiotic Analysis of a Cosmetics Ad” Nadin Reschke http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Students/nnr9501.html
- Advertising: Hit or Myth?” Michael Schudson http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article217.html
- “Brands R Us: How Advertising Works” Stephen Garey http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article50.html