- What is gender (as opposed to sex or sexuality)?
- How do human beings become ‘gendered,’ or enculturated into gender? How early does gender enculturation occur, and what consumer products are used to facilitate it?
- What are our stereotypes of women? …of men?
- What stereotypical roles are given to men/to women in popular culture?
- What effects does advertising have on men/on women?
- What emotional/physiological effects do gender restrictions have on men/on women?
- How is societal violence, in part, a direct result of pop culture definitions of masculinity?
- In what respect could it be observed that the problem of gender and the problem of class intersect?
Beale, Bob. Boundary marking gender difference becoming blurred. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=188342
Ingham, Helen. The Portrayal of Women on Television. http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Students/hzi9401.html
Moog, Carol. The Selling of Addiction to Women. http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article66.html
Craig, Steve. How the Advertising Industry Responded to the Onset of the Modern Women’s Movement.
Craig, Steve. Men’s Men and Women’s Women: How Television Commercials Portray Gender to Different Audiences. http://humboldtcollege.wikispaces.com/file/view/mensmen.pdf
Griffiths Merris, re: Lois Smith. A Content Analysis of Gender Differences in Children’s Advertising. http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Students/lmg9307.html
Simpson, Craig. Toying with War. http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article248.html
Monifa, Akilah. Have You Seen Us? http://akilahmonifaswords.blogspot.com/2007/01/have-you-seen-us-news-organizations.html
NEW: See Byron Hurt’s “Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes,” at PBS’ website… http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/hiphop/film.htm
VIEW [below]: Jean Kilbourne’s “Killing Us Softly 3: Advertising’s Image of Women” (excerpt)
VIEW [below] Sut Jhally’s “Tough Guise,” featuring Jackson Katz (trailer)