Militarism and Media
- Why does America fight other countries?
- What is the Military Industrial Complex? Name the four components of the MIC?
- Who coined the term “Military Industrial Complex”?
- What is a think tank? What is the most influential Washington think tank? Who are its most influential members? What is the Office of Special Plans?
- How is the history of militarism, since WW2, a history of lies? Discuss the JFK issue, Watergate, the Iran Contra scandal, Rumsfeld & Saddam.
- How many American agencies are employed by the US government to produce “advocacy” news?
- According to Chomsky, how many definitions of democracy exist in Western culture? Why are there these different definitions?
- What historical era, in modern history, caused the US military to commandeer the American media’s coverage of war? What presidential statement, post-911, effectively silenced frank press coverage of war?
- How did the US military censor coverage of the first Gulf War in the early 1990s?
- How did the US military censor coverage of the recent war in Iraq? Explain the genius of current system…
- What do we not see on the American media’s coverage of war?
Rumsfeld shakes hands with Saddam (1983)
Fore, William. The Military News Complex. http://www.medialit.org/reading_room/article76.html
Uricchio, William. Television Conventions. http://web.mit.edu/cms/reconstructions/interpretations/tvconventions.html
Brickmeyer, Mimi. Post 9/11 Hollywood: the films they dare not make today .http://www.hollywoodinvestigator.com/2003/dune.htm
Rosenblatt, Roger. The Age of Irony comes to an end. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1000893,00.html
For a deeper understanding of militarism and our culture’s goals, read about “The Project for a New American Century” (PNAC) and the Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI)
- Definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century
- Critique http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article1665.htm
- PNAC, explained by http://knife-party.net/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sg_NRC8ozk
- “Foreign Policy Initiative” http://www.foreignpolicyi.org/
PNAC members & architects
- PAUL WOLFOWITZ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Wolfowitz
- KARL ROVE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Rove
- RICHARD PERLE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Perle
- A New “Perle” Harbor http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=CAR20060607&articleId=2596
- DONALD RUMSFELD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld
Re-read the source of my favourite quotation, by Ramsey Clark
Want to watch this powerful speaker? http://www.peace.ca/ramseyclarkvideo.htm
What is depleted uranium? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium
OPTIONAL: MILITARY POLLUTION