- What is a corporation?
- What is the historical background surrounding the corporation’s increased power in the 19th century?
- In what way is the corporation a legal or juristic person?
- According to the documentary, “The Corporation,” if the corporation is a legal person, what kind of person is it? What proof do the filmmakers advance to support this assertion?
- What are externalities? In what way is the corporation an “externalizing machine”?
- What is the primary goal of all corporations, a goal to which they are bound by law?
- What myth of corporate ethics and practices is shattered by Interface Chairman Ray Anderson? What is the goal of Mr. Anderson with respect to Interface’s business practices? Is he successful in his new paradigm?
- What is the key issue in a corporation’s decisions to abide by environmental or corruption laws or, conversely, to break the law and incur monetary penalties and fines?
- Mark Achbar, Jennifer Abbott, & Joel Balkan. The Corporation.
- WATCH “THE CORPORATION” ONLINE: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=FA50FBC214A6CE87
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ROUGHLY THE FIRST SEVEN YOUTUBE CHAPTERS OF THE FILM SHOWN HERE.
Mokhiber, Russell, and Robert Weissman. Focus on The Corporation http://multinationalmonitor.org/focus/focus.index.html
Mokhiber, Russell, and Robert Weissman. “Corporate Black Caucus?” http://www.counterpunch.org/mokhiber01132003.html
Morehouse, Ward. Greening The Corporation. http://dieoff.org/page62.htm
Dox, Dennis. Kill The Corporation. http://www.alternet.org/story/13830
- Multinational Monitor’s Top 100 Corporate Criminals of the 1990s http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/mm1999/99july-aug/crime1.html
- Multinational Monitor’s Top 10 Corporate Criminals of 2006 http://www.multinationalmonitor.org/mm2006/112006/mokhiber.html
- Multinational Monitor’s Ten Worst Corporations of 2008 http://multinationalmonitor.org/mm2008/112008/weissman.html
- See also “Multinational Monitor” http://multinationalmonitor.org/
“Corporate Watch” http://www.corporatewatch.org.uk/
Terminology from “The Corporation”
- Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
- Legal person or Juristic person
For further explanations of assorted political economy terminology, see…
Ray Anderson, former CEO of Interface (1934-2011)
OPTIONAL: THE WORLD’S RICHEST BILLIONAIRES http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/09/worlds-richest-people-slim-gates-buffett-billionaires-2010-intro_slide_2.html?partner=yahooca
OPTIONAL: For fun , check out Chom Chom Advertising’s 30 most powerful logos of the US Economy http://www.chomchomadvertising.com/30-most-powerful-logos/