- co-optation or cooptation http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cooptation
- see also co-option http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-option
From coopt + -ation.
cooptation (plural cooptations)
- A co-opting: a commandeering, appropriation, or taking over.
- A co-opting: an absorption or assimilation.
- In sociology, co-option refers to a trend or idea being incorporated into mainstream culture; see also Cultural appropriation.
- Cooptation may also refer to the tactic of neutralizing or winning over a minority by assimilating them into the established group or culture.
- (commandeering): cooption
- (absorption, assimilation): cooption